Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Why Bother? (2) What The Bible Says

Why follow any path of spiritual development? Again and again in the Bible we find the equivalent of the Buddha's Four Assurances: in the wisdom sayings of the Hebrew Bible, in the sayings of Jesus, and in the letters of the Apostles:
Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
-- Psalm 1
If you abide in me,
and my words abide in you,
ask for whatever you wish,
and it will be done for you.
My Father is glorified by this,
that you bear much fruit
and become my disciples.
As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you;
abide in my love.
If you keep my commandments,
you will abide in my love,
just as I have kept my Father’s commandments
and abide in his love.
I have said these things to you
so that my joy may be in you,
and that your joy may be complete.
-- John 15:7-11
Finally, beloved,
whatever is true,
whatever is honorable,
whatever is just,
whatever is pure,
whatever is pleasing,
whatever is commendable,
if there is any excellence
and if there is anything worthy of praise,
think about these things.
Keep on doing the things that you have learned
and received and heard and seen in me,
and the God of peace will be with you.
-- Philippians 4:8-9
NEXT: Why Lam Rim?

No comments:

Post a Comment